Position: Hygiene and Sanitation Assistants – (2 positions)
Report to: Programme Manager
Location: Oyam & Kole District (1) and Kamwenge & Bundibugyo District (1)
Purpose of the position:
The Hygiene and Sanitation Assistant will implement WASH interventions in the clusters based on program targets, national and internationally recognized standards and policies through application of effective and efficient approaches appropriate for the Ugandan context. The position contributes to improving the health of the vulnerable children by ensuring access to safe water, sanitation and adoption of appropriate hygiene behaviors.
- Carry out biannual and annual community situation assessment on key Water, Sanitation and parameters so as to identify areas for interventions for the Area Development Program assigned.
- Mobilized community members on six critical requirements to ensure ownership, operation and maintenance of the water source.
- Conduct field level monitoring of construction, usage and maintenance of existing WASH facilities ensure that every facility has a trained and functional management to sustain its service.
- Lead counterparts (Sub County Officials and partners) in identification, mobilization and sensitization of target communities to participate in WASH activities.
- Lead counterparts and partners (Health Assistant/CDO, church leaders, community and cultural leaders), in the hygiene and Sanitation promotion activities in target communities; using WV recommended approaches for the attainment of ODF communities & Schools.
- Implement hygiene promotion activities in schools to ensure adoption of hand washing practice among pupils, SHC led management of sanitation facilities, and acquisition of life skills in making reusable sanitary pads, liquid soap, pit covers and tippy taps.
- Conduct WASH promotion in health facilities in the respective APs, ensuring that the target health facilities meet WV WASH indicators and serve as a centre for learning for OPD and ANC clients.
- Conduct basic trainings and refresher trainings as well as extend guidance and technical support to the Community based Hygiene and sanitation Promotion structures e.g. S/C staff, Village Health Teams, Water Source Committees, Water Boards, Church leaders, COVAs etc.
- Implement activities in collaboration with S/C staff (HA)
- Ensure that sponsored children benefit and participate in WASH programme interventions.
- Integration of programming with other WV projects/activities
- Represent the project at Sub County level
- Timely develop weekly, monthly and Quarterly implementation plans and reports on WASH project activities in the AP and share with the CDF, HSO and other stakeholders.
- Support in providing necessary data for the development of the proposals, annual budgets and activity plans of all the software activities and ensure they’re implemented timely and are of high quality.
- Identify and document significant change stories that arise for WV WASH interventions.
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Health Sciences, Public Health, Community Health or any other related field attained from a recognized higher institution of learning.
- Technical skills: Experience in implementing Water Sanitation and Hygiene related activities, usage of approaches such as CLTS, CHAST, sanitation marketing and PHAST. Very strong facilitation skills, community mobilization skills and the ability to effectively communicate key issues to communities, good computer skills and ability to write technical reports.
- Experience: Minimum of 2 years’ WASH experience preferably within an International NGO
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with team members and other stakeholders in WASH.
- Conceptual and analytical skills in evidence bases programming and reporting
- Proactive personality, self-driven and strongly motivated.
- Spiritual maturity, interfaith knowledge and a biblical worldview – ability to articulate and model our Christian identity and mission in an inclusive way.
- Good interpersonal skills, strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Proven community facilitation skills.
- Ensure a gender perspective in the scope of work
- Experience working in NGO setting.
- Good community facilitation skills.
- Knowledge on management of WASH infrastructure.
- Community conflict resolution skillls.
- Registration with the Allied Health Professional council is an added advantage.
- Knowledge of local language(s)
- Valid class A driving license.
- The role requires ability to live and work in rural remote settings.