Job Title: Administration and Finance Officer
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Country Manager
About US: Mobile technology is revolutionizing how organizations engage with their end-users. More than 96% of the world’s population has access to a mobile phone, meaning it is now possible to reach nearly every single person on the planet. Yet 3 billion people living in emerging markets still lack access to relevant, timely, and engaging information in their local languages, and their voices remain underheard. The organizations that serve them lack the technology and capacity to reach them, and many are unaware of the power of mobile technology to meet their organizational goals. Viamo connects individuals and organizations using digital technology to make better decisions. With more than 30 million people reached in 2020 alone, we are well on our way to meeting our goal of reaching 50M people annually by 2023.
Job Summary: You will support the Country Manager and Programs team in Uganda. We are looking for an individual who is a strong teammate and is able to work in a very dynamic atmosphere. This person will be responsible for providing administrative support to the Country Manager as well as working with a large global team so should have a strong professional presence as well as a high comfort level with engaging with different teammates at all levels within the organization. You will provide administration and operations support for Viamo’s activities, maintaining and controlling completeness and accuracy of local finances and administration for the Uganda office. You should be able to multitask, prioritize incoming requests, and work with initiative without requiring close supervision. The role consists of normal administrative and operations duties but may also be required to handle onboarding of a dynamic & changing workforce, managing new office space, as well as assisting with special projects as required. You will be involved with a large range of contacts ranging from entry level to extremely high-level and may be exposed to sensitive information requiring discretion and good judgment.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Finance support
- Prepare the monthly cash flow request for general office and projects; reconcile cash received with expenses and align with bank statements;
- Reconcile bank statements;
- Prepare local payments following the procedure (payment request invoice/purchase order, email request of authorization payment and receipts intake);
- Manage the monthly petty cash fund; providing receipts for reconciliation;
- Ensure accurate coding of all expenses (project allocation); handling expense reporting processes along with pertinent expense reporting payouts.
- Submit all project-related receipts and invoices to Global Finance & Administration and save on Viamo Drive
- Record all transactions in QuickBooks;
- File and maintain finance records for easy access;
- Compile and manage budgets for field activities in close collaboration with Program Managers;
- Ensure accurate billing for Uganda’s project phone lines, working in collaboration with Senior Operations D&I management team;
- Payment of vendor invoices as well as MNO bills on time, coordinating with Global Finance & Administration;
- Support any project / organizational audit as required;
- Process monthly payroll, printing and filing necessary reports
- Process payments for all staff following Uganda office processes and guidelines, including set up for new staff;
- Ensure salary account is reconciled and funds are available for automated payout; make sure outstanding payroll liabilities (PAYE, NSSF and LST) are paid in line with current tax regulations in Uganda;
Administration & operations support
- Manage the physical office space and compound; oversee the housekeeping and caretaker staff members;
- Ability to prioritize workload proactively and expeditiously;
- Organising and supporting staff meetings and other team events such as workshop logistics (room rental, refreshments, updated COVID guidelines for the office and team), as well as managing follow up on agenda items.
- Maintain equipment and supply inventory;
- Support travel plans for team members (accommodation, travel reservations, airtime); handling domestic and international travel arrangements.
- Managing daily calendar, demonstrating flexibility and problem-solving abilities to adjust or prioritize schedules due to last minute changes.
- Support key team initiatives: key duties may include support for team Uganda all-hands/stand-up meetings, internal presentations, distribution of airtime and data stipends, management of shared team information and resources on portals and other channels.
- Support local recruitment processes; manage incoming new recruits (locker assignment, computer purchases, health insurance payment reimbursement processes, etc.);
- Support work permit processes;
- Perform general office clerk duties, errands and other duties as needed;
Key Performance Indicators
- Ensure accuracy of accounts and reporting
- Effective payroll administration
- Effective administrative support
- Team and Reporting Structure
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a relevant university degree and 4+ years general business management or office administration experience; Accounting, Business Administration or equivalent considered;
- 4+ years experience supporting management in an administrative capacity;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English, with excellent customer service skills;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Dynamic self-starter;
- Excellent organizational, problem solving and interpersonal skills
- Proven creative problem-solving history, works well collaboratively and under pressure.
- Excellent communication skills, with a can-do approach and ability to learn new technologies;
- Demonstrated self-management/entrepreneurial skills; adaptability and resourcefulness
- Computer proficiency with an emphasis on Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Teams, Outlook) and experience working with Google Drive;
- Currently residing in Uganda;
- Familiar with time management tools such as Asana;
- Familiar with Quickbooks, EFRIS invoicing system;
- Experience working in non-profit, telecommunications or social enterprises;
- Project management experience is a plus.
“Why Are Young Ugandans going for kyeyo?”-Finance Minister, Matia Kasaija
Quality Assurance Officer Job – Uganda Coffee Development Authority (UCDA)
Quality Manager Job – Mota-Engil Africa