Job Title: Communications Assistant (Fresher Jobs)
Organisation: Association for Strengthening Agricultural Research in Eastern and Central Africa (ASARECA)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Technical Communications and knowledge Management Officer
The Association for Strengthening Agricultural Research in Eastern and Central Africa (ASARECA) is a sub-regional not-for-profit association. It was established in 1994 by 11 member countries represented by their national agricultural research for development institutes. The 11 member countries are: Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Madagascar, Rwanda, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda. The major objective of ASARECA is to develop policies and programs aimed at deepening co-operation in agricultural research and policy among its member countries for the mutual benefit of all the stakeholders in the agricultural sector.
Job Summary: The Communications Assistant will support the Technical Communications Officer to disseminate knowledge and information and publicize ASARECA work among target audiences.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively engage in the coverage of key corporate functions, including participation in corporate events with the view to capture knowledge and develop various products for visibility.
- Originate story ideas, write news articles, features, briefs and other relevant genres for circulation to partners and other stakeholders, as well as for use in ASARECA multimedia platforms.
- Support improvement of ASARECA social media platforms such as Twitter, You Tube and Linked-In; and suggest areas of improvement and periodically monitor and conduct analytics of the performance of the various platforms.
- Facilitate capacity strengthening of ASARECA staff in developing knowledge products including briefs, articles and other relevant forms; and in the use of social media to disseminate research outputs.
- Identify opportunities for content development and publicity by closely working with program staff and ASARECA partners, especially the NARIS, to create publicity and visibility for ASARECA.
- Take photos, undertake videography, and develop bite-size videos, and photo products on ASARECA work and within the AR4D discourse in the region.
- Support ASARECA online meetings, conferences, seminars, including setting up meeting links, onboarding translation services, managing meeting break-out sessions and capture of live interactions.
- Coordinate media interviews and follow up on news stories published.
- Support initiatives to grow ASAREACA membership including initiating subscription drives; compiling lists of ASARECA stakeholders; regularly harvesting contacts from Programme staff; group emails; meeting forms; and completing them for inclusion into ASARECA mailing lists.
- Scanning the AR4D environment to spot events that ASARECA may contribute to or participate in and compile the events details for inclusion in ASAREC events pages.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Mass Communication or Public Relations
- Previous experience of at least one year in handling similar tasks.
- Ability and passion to engage in writing in various forms and for diverse audiences.
- Possess good working knowledge of at least one of the two ASARECA working languages (English and French).
- Respect for diversity and a willingness to work in a multicultural environment.
- Must be ready to work under hard conditions where circumstances dictate,
How to Apply:
All interested candidates who fulfill the job description are requested to submit applications via email detailing: academic qualifications; experience; and relevant CV.
Application documents must be combined in a single file and sent as one attachment. Applications sent with more than one attachment will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
All candidates should send their applications to the following address:
The Executive Director
Attn: Administrative and Personnel Officer
ASARECA Plot 5, Mpigi Road;
P.O. Box 765 Entebbe, Uganda
E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com
Deadline: 4th August 2022