Duty Station: Any of our branches of operations, Uganda
Job opening: 3rd February, 2021
Tugende is a for-profit social enterprise providing asset and SME finance, leasing, insurance, and financial literacy to new customers, and consumer finance to qualified existing customers.
It was formally established in 2012 in Uganda and is a technology-enabled asset financier of income-generating assets for proven entrepreneurs, using a lease-to-own product to offer an affordable path to ownership of these assets. Tugende empowers customers unable to access formal credit and has financed over 35,000 customers.
Job Summary: The Tugende Customer Relation’s main purpose is to make applicants, customers and visitors feel welcome, cared for and respected while having their needs addressed in an empathetic and professional manner. As the initial point of contact for most guests, the Customer Relations Officer is responsible for creating a great first impression of Tugende! You will also ensure that customers continue to have the best experience possible throughout their journey with Tugende.
Tugende’s mission is: “Helping people help themselves”. The Tugende Customer Relations Officer will be to make sure that our customers have the best experience possible throughout their journey with us so that they are in the best position to help themselves. In addition, when customers are happy with their experience, they are more likely to be better customers (e.g. repay better, be more kind to staff), come back for repeat business, and recommend Tugende to others. These outcomes help Tugende achieve its mission and grow as a business!
Key Duties and Responsibilities: The job holder will be assigned to deliver on the following assignments.
- Carry monthly Market Feedback Analysis and execute customer-facing surveys every quarter.
- Welcome customers who enter Tugende’s compound and help them meet their needs promptly, professionally, and with empathy
- Resolve customer complaints directly or direct them to the relevant person and function
- Attend to the toll-free line by explaining application procedures, answering questions, confirming prices and receiving feedback.
- Record and track customer inquiries, requests, and complaints in the Customer Feedback log.
- Disseminate information about payment plans, promotions etc to customers.
- Interview customers for success stories and encourage completed customers to come for new leases.
- Identify areas for improvement in customers’ experience with Tugende, and propose and implement solutions.
- Note: This job description gives a general guideline, and therefore does not include an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
Preferred skills, knowledge & abilities
- Computer literate with the ability to use MS Office and Google Suite.
- Must possess a high level of professionalism and integrity.
- Speak a variety of local languages e.g. Luganda, Lusoga, Runyankole, Itesot, Acholi, Langi, Gishu, Lusoga or Lukonjo among others.
- Good verbal and phone communication skills.
- Good customer service skills to deal sensitively with customers.
Preferred qualifications and experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Social Sciences, Social Work Social Administration from a recognized institution of learning
- At least one year of work experience serving as Customer Relation Officer from a reputable organisation.
- Hold values similar to our own: Integrity;- Empathy, Teamwork, Solutions Oriented and Always growing.
- Confidentiality: Able to handle sensitive information professionally and confidentially.
- Positive Attitude: the main mindset of “getting things done” and finding satisfaction in developing sustainable long-term solutions at all times.
- Flexible and resilient: Willingness to travel, flexible in schedule and work hours, seek direct feedback and see every challenge as an opportunity to grow.
What will you gain?
- Career Trajectory: This is a role with significant leadership potential to grow as the company operations grow. Someone who does this job can be promoted to; Senior Customer Relations Officer, Customer Relations Team Leader, Customer Relations Coordinator, Deputy Branch Leader, Junior Branch Leader, Branch Leader, Senior Branch Leader, with a possibility of crossing to other operations and other departments’ functions.
- Meaningful Work: Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the opportunity to earn a better living for themselves and their families. We are changing East Africa’s asset-finance industry by building a sustainable business that ignites financial development. Join this movement!
- Great Team: Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of ~489 employees. We take our work seriously, but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as fun parties for our customers. Our headquarters are in Kampala, Uganda and we are rapidly expanding in East Africa.
- Hours and compensation: This position is for an ambitious, full-time employee who will take on additional responsibilities and projects as they arise. Tugende offers competitive salaries and benefits that reflect a person’s contributions to the company’s mission and growth.
More About Tugende
Tugende means “let’s go” in Luganda and signifies the company’s mission and what you say on the back of a motorcycle taxi. Tugende has been recognized as a 2012 Unreasonable Fellow,2014 Echoing Green Global Fellow,2016 GSBI Fellow, and received the MIT Zambezi prize in 2015 as one of the top 3 financial inclusion start-ups in Africa. We have appeared in The Guardian, BBC, Economist, and elsewhere.
As part of our regional expansion in East Africa, Kenya is now launched! Beyond geographic growth, Tugende’s future will include multiple asset finance products and tools to help Tugende to reach millions of customers without losing high touch personal support.
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join Tugende in the aforementioned capacity should apply online at the link below.