Job Title: Trades Helper
Organisation: United States US Embassy, US Mission in Uganda
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Salary: UGX 30,520,491 /=
Position Number: Kampala-2021-009
About US Embassy:
The United States Embassy in Kampala, Uganda has enjoyed diplomatic relations with Uganda for over 30 years. Ambassador Natalie E. Brown currently heads the U.S Mission to Uganda. The Mission is composed of several offices and organizations all working under the auspices of the Embassy and at the direction of the Ambassador.
Among the offices operating under the U.S Mission to Uganda are:
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Peace Corps
Job Summary: The position holder is employed as a Trades Helper to assist the technicians of the skilled trades in the performance of routine and preventive maintenance, and new installations and demolition work. The Building Engineer Supervisor will assign the incumbent to any of the skilled trade shops on a daily basis to assist the skilled technicians with maintenance and repair work throughout the Chancery/GSO Warehouse office buildings, grounds and residential owned/leased properties. In addition to assisting the skilled trade technicians, the incumbent may be assigned tasks include material handling, painting, custodial type work, common laborer work, and grounds maintenance and gardening work.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
- The applicants for the United States US Embassy Trades Helper job opportunity should have completed Secondary School
- A minimum of two (2) years of maintenance or construction semi-skilled work experience in skilled trades such as mechanical (HVAC and Plumbing), electrical, carpentry, with significant focus on building systems.
- Must have a basic technical understanding of major building mechanical systems and equipment. Must be familiar with construction techniques and workplace safety, personal protective equipment (PPE) – how and when to use it.
- The incumbent must be a visionary, forward thinker, and quick understudy with an aptitude to learn so he/she can anticipate the materials and tools the skilled technician will need ahead of time.
- Must be able to use the typical lot of hand tools, small handheld power tools, vacuum cleaners, gardening tools, and ladders; must be adept at keeping work sites free of clutter and debris, clean and neat; must have a valid driver’s license for standard vehicles; must use good safety practices and follow all safety requirements in execution of tasks and be able to use all appropriate PPE; additional abilities include responding to emergency situations in an efficient and timely manner to effect immediate repairs; work in various adverse conditions such as tight or enclosed spaces, heights, and temperature extremes, indoors or outdoors to complete work assignments; must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to handle a large workload and multiple tasks; be able to take direction and must be organized; communicate orally and in writing with co-workers, contractors and vendors to obtain and provide pertinent information.
- Language: English level II (Limited knowledge) Written/Speaking/Reading is required. Luganda level III (Good knowledge) Written/Speaking/Reading is required.
How to Apply:
All those interested in working with the US mission in Kampala should send their applications online at the link below.
Deadline: 23rd March 2021