Job Title: English Teacher – Upper Primary
Organization: Merryland Infant & Primary School
Duty Station: Kanyanya, Gayaza, Uganda
Reports to: Head of Department, Deputy Head-teacher and Head-teacher
Merryland Infant & Primary School is located in Kanyanya Gayaza Road.
Job Summary: The English Teacher is responsible for ensuring teaching and learning processes stimulates pupil’s improved academic and co-curricular performance. S/he ensures curriculum delivery is reflected in the scheme of work and that lessons are planned and delivered according to timetable and record of work filed. S/he ensures assignments and tests stimulate memory, comprehension and mastery of content covered. Additionally, the subject teacher is expected to demonstrate good administrative and management skills; including living up to the teacher’s professional code of conduct and setting a good example to the entire school community, maintaining quest for learning as the lead learner.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Develop schemes of work, lesson plans and teach key learning objectives within subject area. As well as:
- Develops detailed subject schemes of work, lessons plans and records of work termly.
- Ensures that all lessons are planned and taught according to the school timetable.
- Updates class subject register, checking for pupil’s attendance of classes and reports in case of any anomalies.
- Teaches and inspires pupils to high academic performance attainment through full coverage of subject syllabus
- Assess pupils and give useful feedback for improved performance by filling report cards and mark sheets.
- Addresses subject area problems affecting pupils’ achievement by ensuring clarity expected of the pupil.
- Compiles termly assessment marks for submission and forecasts to the Deputy Head teacher.
- Liaises with the class teachers to support teaching/learning in the classroom and the school.
- Addresses pupil conduct ensuring that barriers to pupils’ achievements are identified and removed.
- Participates in drawing up the subject teaching content and collaborates with other teachers to improve the teaching/learning processes.
- Teaches according to differentiated ⁹the special learning needs of the class, reflecting this awareness in the expectations made, assessments given for holistic child development.
Ensures a good learning environment and projects pupil’s results. As well as:
- Ensures teaching and learning is done in a clean, tidy, safe and supportive learning environment by following up in case of delays and taking corrective actions.
- Ensures that pupils develop respect and supportiveness for the teaching and learning environment by maintaining sensitivity to the physical and psychological space.
- Supports pupil assessments as a part of learning and adding to their eagerness to attain excellence by review.
- Projects pupil results in the subject area to create an environment that stretches pupils to achievement and meet learner needs through guidance and counselling.
- Articulates the school vision, mission, values and anthem ensuring pupils demonstrate proud identity and express it in the value they attach to the school.
- Champion school citizenship among pupils ensuring they attach value to the school to enforce discipline.
Ensures school events are represented and pupils closely observed. As well as:
- Attends school programs ensuring input in staff development, conveyor exam marking or meetings.
- Brings in own expertise in school programs, supporting pupil preparations and overseeing co-curricular activities from time to time as may be required.
- Builds sound relationships with staff and pupils from visiting schools during inter school activities through collaborative behaviours that can be adopted by pupils.
- Supports pupils house activities: sports, cultural festivals, events and cleaning competitions overseeing preparations and behaviour at such events.
- Acts as an evaluator at school competitions by making sound judgement to ensure unbiased assessments.
Manages own learning by living-up to ethical conduct as a lead learner. As well as:
- Reviews own teaching and reflects on ways to improve delivery of content.
- Continuously applies learner-centred teaching methods ensuring pupils grow towards higher order thinking skills through analysis and evaluation.
- Sits in colleague’s lessons, gives them feedback on their effectiveness to ensure lessons are memorable, engaging to learners and covers core syllabus content.
- Attends staff trainings to learn/apply personal improvement aspects that directly inform teaching practices.
- Deliver evidenced-based teaching and learning practices to fellow staff at learning workshops (INSTEP)
- Engages in personal education and training, bringing in new knowledge and skills for opportunities to further own education and ensure such information is documented.
- Manages time effectively by following school calendar/timetable to create value for time among the pupils.
Coordinates specific routine, roles and responsibilities in the school: As well as:
- As teacher on duty supports pupils to follow school and class rules and regulations at all times.
- Supports the school management address cases of deviant behaviour affecting pupils’ performance.
- Participates in examination invigilation, ensuring the school reputation is upheld and all procedures of examination supervision and invigilation are complied with.
- Coach pupils by preparing them for life through supervised teaching/play and guided learning.
- Carry out other duties as requested by the Supervisor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Diploma in Primary Education from a recognised institution. Grade V education is desired.
- At least three years of experience in teaching the subject area
- Desirable: 5 years teaching in the subject area and registered with MoES
- Excellent Childhood Development teaching skills
- Desirable: Ability to develop, subject teaching resources
- Assessment skills
- Planning and organizing
- Problem-solving and decision-making
- Results orientation
- Logical and forward-thinking
- Emotional resourcefulness
- Understanding of others
- Support orientation
- Passion for education
- Professional ethics
- Have enthusiasm for school work
Appreciation for the school
How to Apply:
Application should be addressed to The Director Merry land Infant and Primary School Kanyanya Gayaza Road and send their CVs via email to email@example.com