Vacancy title: Head of Advocacy, Campaigns, Communication & Media (ACCM)
Type: FULL TIME
Industry: Nonprofit, and NGO
Category: Admin & Office
Jobs at: Save the Children
Deadline of this Job: 08 September 2020
Duty Station: Within Uganda , Somalia , East Africa
Head of Advocacy, Campaigns, Communication & Media (ACCM), Somalia Country Office
Save the Children advocates for better practices and policies to fulfil children’s rights in Somalia and to ensure that children’s voices are heard at the global, national and local levels. This is a collective and organization-wide endeavor to influence government and other institutional policies and practices, and shape social norms and behavior to ultimately achieve positive and lasting change for children. The Head of ACCM will lead the development and delivery of Save the Children Somalia Country Office’s campaigns, advocacy and communications strategy based on country specific child rights trends and stakeholder analysis; that is aligned to the organization’s mission, global advocacy and campaign initiatives, and the Country Strategic Plan and priorities, whilst ensuring it is high quality, impactful and well resourced, to bring about policy and social change. S/he will contribute to creating a high performing ACCM team with both general leadership and sector-specific knowledge. S/he will provide senior level representation and manage relationships with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders, and establish strong and strategic partnership with like-minded organizations in advancing the rights of children and be a strong voice for children.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly. .
Competencies and Behaviours Deliver Results at Scale
• Finds solutions to complex challenges faced in driving sustainable change and impact
• Leads coalitions to promote systems thinking and strengthening
• Promotes a clear focus on impact in project and program design, management and oversight
• Ensures adaptive thinking is embedded in team ways of working
• Takes informed and calculated risks in response to emerging threats to children’s rights and changing environments
• Leads formal and informal engagement with diverse, strategic partners based on shared, long-term vision
Communicating with Impact
• Conveys complex issues with clarity, brevity and confidence
• Promotes dialogue with key stakeholders through active listening and effective questioning
• Seeks out new methodologies and adapts communication style to maximize engagement and to influence key stakeholders
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including high level of fluency in English, both verbal and written, required
Innovating & Adapting
• Openly talks about doing things differently, pushing the boundaries and ways of working to overcome challenges and drive continuous improvements
• Anticipates change and adapts their (and team’s) plans and priorities accordingly
• Builds the confidence of others in their own ability to develop new ideas and embrace change
• Leverages learning for the organization and evidence for the impact and quality of our work
Developing self & others
• Identifies clear development needs and development plans through regular constructive reviews of their own performance and their team’s
• Creates space for others to learn and provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments when people are ready for them
• Coaches others to learn from their experiences on the job and to use the resources available to them
• Builds trust with contacts through openness and honesty
• Participates effectively in sensitive, complex and/or high impact relationships and networks
• Builds strong relationships with a broad range of stakeholders
• Spots opportunities to bring together partnerships/working alliances that have not been used before
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
• No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
• All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
• Violence against children is no longer tolerated.
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Job Skills: Not Specified
Qualifications and Experience Essential
• Masters in social science, human rights, development, international relations etc. Post graduate degree in policy, communications and media will be an added advantage.
• At least 7 years of senior experience in undertaking major advocacy and campaign initiatives in humanitarian and development contexts
• Experience in strategic planning, including an ability to prioritize among competing demands and opportunities, and an ability to scan the horizon and manage risks
• Experience working in Somalia or similar fragile/conflict/humanitarian contexts is desirable
• Proven track record in policy analysis and implementing strategic advocacy initiatives aimed at bringing changes in these areas and influencing with partners, government and civil societies/key stakeholders
• Proven experience in analyzing the situation of children using the child rights programming/principles framework, and experience in driving accountability of duty bearers for the realization and advancement of all children’s rights and promoting an enabling environment for participation of, and accountability to, children
• Experience of successfully operating in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
• Experience of building, leading and developing staff in a matrix management and remote management environment with different backgrounds and expertise
• Experience of being a strategic influencer with relevant stakeholders, building personal networks at senior levels, resulting in securing significant new opportunities for the organization
• Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in
Job Education: Masters in social science
Job Experience: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Please apply in English saving your CV and cover letter as a single document, including details of your current remuneration and salary expectations for this role. A copy of the full role profile can be found at https://www.savethechildren.net/careers
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents.
Click here to apply