Job Title: Program Manager – Ekisil
Organisation: Mercy Corps
Duty Station: Uganda
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In conflict, in disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
About USAID EKISIL Projet:
USAID funded Securing Peace and Promoting Prosperity in Karamoja (EKISIL) which Mercycorps and Partners Riamiriam Civil Society Network, DADO and AWOTID have been implementing since November 15 2017 to April 15, 2021. We anticipate a 2 year extension for this program. EKISIL is a Conflict Mitigation and Management Project that uses people-to-people approach (P2P) that brings groups together across divisions to address underlying social, economic, ecological, and governance issues at risk of fueling conflict in Karamoja region. This is achieved through three interlinked objectives that address root causes of inter-ethnic conflict and promote reconciliation, empower local capacities to prevent and manage conflicts, and address emerging conflicts related to land.
Job Summary: The Program Manager will be responsible for providing overall technical guidance, coordination, planning, designing and implementing the project in line with the donor guidelines. The incumbent will play key roles in day to day management of the program oversight, organizing capacity building training, program quality assurance and documentation of all events leading to the successful implementation of the project. The Program Manager will oversee specialized training on conflict sensitivity, collaborative negotiation and mediation, EWER, and advocacy and influence. He/she will focus on strengthening the collaboration, learning and adaptation horizontally across the four districts and bolstering vertical linkages between districts and the national CEWERU. Working and building the capacity of the partners, supporting in developing institutional development plans for the local partners.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the development of program and staff work plans; Lead the development of detailed implementation plans, flowing from annual strategic work-plans, and ensure program implementation is on time, target and budget, using effective M&E systems and adaptive management principles to reach desired impacts.
- Oversee the implementation of the Karamoja Regional Initiatives including the investments plans and strategic plan.
- Act as the main liaison with relevant District government officials and institutions, stakeholders and community members relevant to the Activity;
- Over the implementation of the Karamoja Regional Initiatives including the investments plans and strategic plan.
- Participate in peace and conflict-related coordination meetings and represent Mercy Corps in these meetings;
- Manage all initiatives related to the Activity in Karamoja area as agreed with the Chief of Party and in accordance with approved proposal, budget and timelines;
- Coordinate and share information with the Chief of Party to ensure overall program targets and donor obligations are being achieved;
- Manage and approve activity budgets as per the AAM in line with Finance and procurement policies.
- Prepare Partners requests budgets, work plans and submit to the CoP for approval.
- Provide direct and ongoing supervision and managerial support to the Activity staff to ensure effective implementation of program activities;
- Support and facilitate Activity team encouraging active participation relationships between members.
- Recommend promotions, improvement plans, dismissals/terminations in accordance to the Mercy Corps Uganda Personnel Policy and Procedures and the Ugandan Labor Law;
- Identify training needs and opportunities for Karamoja staff to ensure that they have adequate resources to complete program objectives, and to enable learning and growth;
- Visit project sites regularly to provide appropriate technical assistance, monitor and oversee activities;
- Support the Project officers to establish a system to monitor and evaluate program activities and impact on an ongoing basis. Ensure that program monitoring is being done on a regular basis and that adequate monitoring reports are prepared;
- Support the development of partnerships with national and international NGOs, CBOs and other agencies involved in Conflict Management initiatives and other Mercy Corps activities.
- Keep in communication and working relationship between the Activity and other USAID and other doors funded projects;
- Regularly meet with the Chief of Party to discuss program achievements, especially when they deviate from the original plan;
- Work with the Chief of Party to organize and facilitate field visits for donors and Mercy Corps staff;
- In collaboration with the Chief of Party, monitor security developments and report to Mercy Corps Senior Management as per the Mercy Corps Uganda security procedures and protocols;
- Jointly prepare donor reports with the Chief of Party and other staff to capture program impact;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission;
- Other duties as assigned.
Partnerships and Management
- Build the capacity of our local partner organizations through ongoing training and mentorship on the day to day program management
- Initiate and oversee all interactions and support to the local implementing partners identified to work with Mercy Corps Karamoja.
- Organize and maintain information on partners, sectors, programs, and individual projects which involves keeping documents up-to-date on Karamoja office partnership portfolio, ending and beginning grants.
- Coordinate reporting with local partners, specifically tracking deadlines, ensuring adherence to formats and requirements, ensuring reporting quality and accuracy, and periodic report writing, editing, and submission.
Finance & Compliance Management
- In collaboration with the country program’s operations and finance departments, ensure proper financial management, procurement, administration, human resources and logistics needs of the program are conducted within Mercy Corps’ policy and with the maximum benefit to the program.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Mercy Corps Program Manager-Ekisil job opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Social works and social administration, Development studies conflict management/peace building or any social science.
- Six years’ experience managing conflict management or other capacity building related projects preferably with NGOS.
- Experience in managing teams and facilitating planning and program development processes
- Financial and personnel management experience and knowledge
- Experience in both community level programming and government focused capacity building.
- Leadership skills, and proven experience in developing effective teams
- Demonstrated problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated experience in coaching, conducting workshops and community meeting facilitation.
- Excellent report writing skills and speaking skills and an excellent communicator.
- Strong organizational and managerial skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including all Microsoft applications.
- Demonstrated skills to successfully communicate and initiate and maintain positive relationships with beneficiary’s community.
- Excellent relationship management skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English both verbally and in writing
- Experience or working in Karamoja region, with strong contextual knowledge of Karamoja cultures
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and appropriate flexibility.
- Ability to effectively communicate with Mercy Corps target populations and partners.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines, and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Willingness to travel frequently to remote locations.
- Ability to quickly learn and implement new information/concepts.
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their application with an updated CV and cover letter online at the link below.
Deadline: 21st March 2021