Job Title: Protection Assistant
Organisation: Finn Church Aid (FCA)
Duty Station: Bidibidi Refugee Settlement, Uganda
Reports to: Child Protection Officer
Finn Church Aid (FCA) is the largest Finnish international aid organization. We operate in 13 countries, where the needs are most dire. We work with the poorest people, regardless of their religious beliefs, ethnic background or political convictions. FCA work is based on promotion of human dignity and fundamental human rights and freedom, and FCA’s operations are guided by equality, non-discrimination and responsibility.
Job Summary: The Protection Assistant is responsible for strengthening Child Protection in schools to facilitate a safe, enabling, protective and nurturing school environment that ensures learners’ development in aspects of physical, cognitive, emotional and academic. The position holder will bridge the gap between the school and service providers to ensure timely and adequate support. He/she will work closely with the other protection systems with in the community to bridge the gap between the school and the neighboring community.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Learners’ safety and wellbeing:
- Conduct risk assessment of every activity and the general school setting, develop a mitigation plan and work with the school administration and Project Officers to execute the mitigation measures.
- Conduct regular checks of the school first aid kits and work with Project officers to ensure they are fully equipped.
- Work with stakeholders to ensure the school is a safe and comfortable place for learners.
- Work with school administration to coordinate referrals for support from the existing community resources
Child protection awareness:
- With assessment of the general protection environment, work with the senior woman/man teachers to plan for topics of discussions during meetings with learners.
- Periodically or depending on circumstances hold meetings with learners, identify concerns, address/ refer where there is need.
- Closely work with the school administration and the support structures (SMC/CMC, PTA, etc) plan and hold meetings with parents to sensitize them on Child Protection on assessing the protection situation in the school community).
- Ensure that teachers and learners fully understand the referral pathway by:
- Holding sessions on referral pathways, invite representatives from different organizations to sensitize learners about what they do and take referrals in case needed (this to be done with support of Project Officers, senior woman/man teachers).
- Facilitate display of referral charts and ensure learners fully understand them.
- Identify children with concerns, address/refer depending on the concern.
- Administer first aid treatment to pupils and adults, attends to any emergency incidents whenever they occur in schools and under take appropriate assistance to the causality.
- Monitor and follow up of cases at school and community level.
- Follow up children who are at risk of dropping out (e.g. Child mothers, children at risk of early marriage etc.)
- Coordinate with stakeholders to ensure pupils and teachers receive holistic services.
- Timely report any child safeguarding incidents (both abuse and accidents) in the school and community.
- Adequately documentation all reported cases and ensure timely response to the cases
- Submit a weekly report showing achievements, challenges and way forward.
- Document success stories regarding general Child Protection at school.
- Any other duty as assigned by the line supervisor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Finn Church Aid (FCA) Protection Assistant job placement should have at least two years of experience of working with children and community in a humanitarian setting. A certificate in child protection will be an added advantage or any child protection training
- Experience of working with partners to ensure holistic support to children.
- Ability to speak local language spoken by refugees in Bidibidi settlement and directly interact with target group will be an added advantage
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain conducive collegial relations and perform effectively as a member of a team.
- Availability and willingness to work extra hours during times of emergencies.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Excellent time management and planning capacity
- Strong integrity and commitment to FCA children’s principles and values including child safeguarding and protection.
- Additional training in first aid administration is an added advantage
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applications should send a cover letter and a CV (not more than 5 pages) with at least three referees and a daytime telephone contact with copies of academic papers addressed to: The Human Resource and Administration Manager, Finn Church AID, Uganda Country Office. P.O. Box 21826 Kampala, Tank Hill Rd, Roche Close, Plot 1495 Muyenga, Uganda. Email applications should be in one file attachment (Ms Word or PDF) mentioning the position title in the subject to Ugaco.firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not attach academic documents when you apply online
Deadline: Saturday 20th March 2021.
N.B. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Finn Church Aid is committed to keeping children safe at all times & all levels of its program operations, so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from all forms of abuses. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards, adherence to Child Safeguarding Policy including background check