Seven Children Suffocated to Death in Mubende

 Seven children, five from one family, have died after sufforcating in a make-shift structure they were sheltering in during an afternoon downpour.

Seven children, five from one family, have died after suffocating in a make-shift structure they were sheltering in during an afternoon downpour.

The Wamala region police mouthpiece named the deceased as Noor Nakate,12, Raum Nabakooza,10, Mariam Mbabzi,10, Dirisa Sserugo,6, Abdalla Kakooza,5, Asiya Nasazi,3, and Bashira Namata.

Kawala said investigations will seek to establish how the seven children suffocated to death while sleeping in a tent with a charcoal stove during the day.

This happened in Kisenyi, Kitenga in Mubende district, when parents who had left the children in a makeshift shelter built near their beans garden, returned only to discover the lifeless bodies of the children, with only one still alive and struggling for breath.

Without realizing the dander of smoke inhalation, she says they later fell asleep and when she woke up, she realized she was feeling weak.

It was as she crawled out of the hut to seek help that the parents arrived, only to discover the seven other children had suffocated and died in their sleep due to the fumes from the stove.

Muhamad Kalisa and Resty Nanyonga had gone to look for food, leaving the children in the care of an older sibling Madinah Nakyanzi

Mother and Father Weeping at the loss of their beloved Children
Mother and Father Weeping at the loss of their beloved Children.

Suffocation

Similar cases of death by suffocation have on many occasions happened in various parts of the country after victims inhale huge amounts of carbon monoxide, a colorless, odorless, tasteless and harmful gas that kills silently without even causing the slightest of pain.

Experts say carbon monoxide is produced as a result of partial combustion of carbon in fuels like petrol, charcoal and wood and when inhaled( carbon monoxide) combine with hemoglobin in the lungs.

This prevents oxygen from combining with hemoglobin which is the part of the blood that transports oxygen around the body and in this case, carbon monoxide replaces oxygen in the body .

As a result, cells perform their body functions without oxygen after being starved and consequently, a person loses consciousness.

Consequently, a lot of poisonous lactic acid is released from the liver and kidney and spreads to the heart leading to death.