Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Accountant
Duration: 6 Months
TechnoServe is a leader in harnessing the power of the private sector to help people lift themselves out of poverty. A nonprofit organization operating in 29 countries, we work with enterprising men and women in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. By linking people to information, capital, and markets, we have helped millions to create lasting prosperity for their families and communities. Founded over 50 years ago, TechnoServe has been named the #1 nonprofit for fighting poverty by the ImpactMatters charity rating agency.
Job Summary: The Temporary Accounts and Administrative Assistant manages the day to day finance-related activities of the program. S/he will be responsible for following up on program procurements, posting invoices into the finance system, payments, reporting, document archiving, accurate financial & management reporting and analysis, and ensuring compliance with organization, statutory, and Program requirements.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Finance & Administration
- Ensure proper documentation and filing of all finance and Administrative information
- Participate in data recording into the finance system, Serenic Navigator
- Review invoices, accountabilities and other information presented to the finance department for payment processing
- Ensure the program is implemented with sound financial and administrative practices through efficient management of project funds and timely processing of payments
- Management of project funds; ensure that funds are disbursed in line with set activities/ budget and that accountabilities are submitted in a timely manner
- Participate in annual budget preparation, mid-year reviews, monthly burn rate calls and ensure action points are implemented accordingly
- Preparation of daily cash reports and monthly cash needs to ensure availability of funds
- Work closely with program team to ensure that project work plans and financial planning are in sync
- Coordinate External/internal Audits and ensure implementation of agreed recommendations
- Regular update of Asset register and engraving of assets. Regular Maintenance of assets to avoid breakdowns e.g. vehicles, computers, power backups etc.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Supervisor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a University degree in Accounting and part II qualification of any professional course ACCA, CPA is an added advantage.
- At least three years of experience in a similar position with International NGO or development agencies.
Core Competencies include:
- Integrity and honesty: Is widely trusted; seen as a direct, truthful individual; presents truthful information in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; does not misrepresent himself or herself for personal gain.
- Team Work/ Relationships: Works co-operatively and flexibly with other members of the team with a full understanding of the role to be played as a team member and/or leader, to achieve a common goal. Ability to build and maintain effective relationships and networks.
- Learning attitude: Proactively takes advantage of opportunities to learn. Actively identifies new areas for learning; applies and shares new knowledge and skill appropriately.
- Diversity/Inclusiveness: Demonstrates an understanding and appreciation for diversity and supports diversity efforts. Interacts effectively with and inclusively with people of all races, cultures, ethnicities, backgrounds, religions, ages, and genders.
- Communication: Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations. Listens effectively; shares information, ideas and arguments; adjusts terminology, language and communication modes to the needs of the audience; ensures accurate understanding; acts in a way that facilitates open exchange of ideas and information; uses appropriate non-verbal communication.
- Decision making/Problem Solving: Is able to analyze situations, diagnose problems, identify the key issues, establish and evaluate alternative courses of action and produce a logical, practical and acceptable solution. Is able to make effective decisions on a day-to-day basis, taking ownership of decisions, demonstrating sound judgement in escalating issues where necessary.
- Results Oriented/ High Quality Deliverables: Stays focused on the efforts necessary to achieve quality results consistent with programmatic or departmental goals. Demonstrates the ability to achieve effective results; works persistently to overcome obstacles to goal achievement. Accomplishes tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks.
- Planning & Time Management: Establishes a course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a specific goal. Effectively plans, schedules, prioritizes and controls activities; identifies, integrates and orchestrates resources (people, material, information, budget, and/or time) to accomplish goals. Prioritizes work according to the program or department’s goals, not just own job responsibilities; manages own time effectively.
- Business Acumen: The ability to use information, ask the right questions and take decisions that make an impact on the overall business performance.
- Job Specific/Technical Competencies include:
- Computer Literacy: Demonstrates knowledge and ability to use specific computer programs or applications for own functional area. Has the ability to improve performance by integrating new and existing technology into the workplace.
- Financial & Resource Management: an important competency program staff must possess to enable them to budget properly based on facts and change course when necessary, knowledge of finance to develop and manage budgets.
- Internal Client Focus: Client Focus is based on the ability to understand the client’s needs and concerns in the short to long-term and to provide sound recommendations and/or solutions.
- Compliance & Governance: Compliance with and knowledge of company policies, applicable legislation, grant requirements, donor contracts, the local labor code and tax laws.
How to Apply:
All qualified and interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter in one single Microsoft Word document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line.
Deadline: 19th February 2021
NB: Due to a high volume of applicants, please understand that we are able to contact only those who meet the minimum qualifications. No phone calls, please. TechnoServe encourages diversity in all levels and across all facets of our organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.