World Vision Uganda (WVU) is a Christian relief, development and advocacy non-government organisation dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. We currently work in 43 districts and have 48 Area Programmes implementing projects in health & nutrition, water, sanitation & hygiene (WASH), livelihoods & resilience, education and child protection. World Vision (WV) is committed to the protection of children and adult beneficiaries from exploitation and abuse and will not employ people whose background is not suitable for working with these beneficiaries. All employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks where possible.
Due to expansion in scope of our programmes, we are now seeking for a qualified and passionate individual willing to share in our vision and join the team in the following role.
Position: Truck Driver
Report to: Food Assistance Officer
Location: Yumbe District
Purpose of the position:
To drive authorized passengers, transport goods and services (information) and check the mechanical condition of the World Vision vehicle regularly and act accordingly in line with World Vision policies
- Drive World Vision vehicles/authorized passengers to specified destinations as approved by the supervisor in line with World Vision vehicle usage policy.
- Ensure vehicle log-books are completed accurately for each journey made.
- Deliver packages, goods and mails and any other information to specified people, places and offices in line with World Vision policies.
- Check the vehicle status/condition e.g. engine oil, water, nuts, battery water, license, Third Party Insurance, brakes, tyre pressure etc prior to any journey and carry out regular vehicle repairs e.g. correcting hard start, tightening bolts and nuts, topping up battery water, etc in line with World Vision policy.
- Monitor the security of vehicle, authorized passengers and luggage in line with the vehicle policy.
- Ensure non WV staff have signed the waiver form before boarding WV vehicles
- Report all major and minor damages and accidents on the vehicle at hand to the supervisor in line with World Vision vehicle policies.
- Liaise with FAO and logistics officer to ensure vehicle is booked for service/repairs in a timely manner
- Prepare and submit vehicle monthly reports in line with the World Vision Vehicle Policy.
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience.
- At least Ordinary Level Certificate
- Valid driver’s permit/license with a driving class of CM is a requirement, and CH and added advantage.
- Mechanical knowledge is an added advantage.
- Experience in driving, with clean driving record of not less than 3 years, preferably with an NGO in northern Uganda
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts, psychologically stressful environments, and physical hardship conditions with limited resources.
- Agreement with World Vision Christian ethos and commitment to World Vision Core Values and Mission Statement.
- Attend and participate/lead in daily devotions and weekly Chapel services.
- Effective in written and verbal communication in English
- Computer literate
- Perform other duties as required